skip to content

 

Tin Hau Temple, To Kwa Wan

 
 

The temple was built in 1885 by Hakka(客家) people who earned their living as fishermen. They believed that Tin Hau was their goddess and patron of their livelihood.

Tin Hau

Tin Hau who is also called Matsu (媽祖)(Mother-Ancestor) was a native of Fujian Province(福建省). She met a Taoist priest at the age of thirteen who taught her how to predict the future and help those who were sick and weak. It was said that she travelled about the sea on a mattress made of reed to save the people who were being drowned. People therefore looked upon her as the goddess for safety on the sea. 。

Architectural Setting

 

Structurally, this temple is built in the form of a traditional Chinese temple. There is a main hall where the image of the main deity Tin Hau is housed and a side hall on its right to house the secondary deities.

Historical & Cultural Relics

The historical items kept in the temple include a plaque bearing the name of the temple and a couplet, both dated 1882 and a bronze bell cast in 1885.

Other Deities

Besides Tin Hau, another important deity in the temple is Lung Mo (Dragon Mother)(龍母). Lung Mo was the deity in the Hoi Sum Temple in Kowloon City which was demolished in 1964 to make way for urban development. Her image was then placed in this temple. A plaque from the former Hoi Sum Temple is still kept in the temple. Apart from Tin Hau and Lung Mo, the temple also houses Kwun Yum and All Saints.

Tin Hau Festival

Ceremonial activities are held on Tin Hau Festival which falls on the 23rd day of the third lunar month.

Other Related Festival

Dragon Mother Festival - the 8th day of the fifth lunar month and 15th day of the eighth lunar month

Renovations

This temple has undergone major renovations in 1915 and 2005.

 

 

 

Addresss:

No.49, Ha Heung Road, To Kwa Wan, Kowloon

Opening Hour:

8:30am to 5:30pm daily

Public Transport:

  • MTR Jordan Station Exit A, take public light bus to Kowloon City or Wong Tai Sin and get off at Lok Shan Road in the front of the temple
  • Take the green minibus route no. 13 at Hung Hom Ferry Concourse and get off at the junction of Lok Shan Road and Ha Heung Road
 

 

Back