skip to content
Chinese Temples Committee
 

Tin Hau Temple, Cha Kwo Ling

 
 

The temple was built during the reign of Dao Guan (道光)(1821-1850) of Qing Dynasty (清朝). It was previously located near the coast of Kwun Tong. The old temple was renovated in 1891. Around 1911 and 1912, the temple was destroyed by a typhoon. The image of Tin Hau was then transferred to a shack nearby and remained there for thirty years. In 1941, a new temple was built on the old site with the funds raised by the local people. However, the temple was demolished in 1947. At the request of the local residents, a new temple was built at the present site.

Tin Hau

Tin Hau (天后) who is also called Matsu (媽祖)(Mother-Ancestor) was a native of Fujian Province (福建省). She met a Taoist priest at the age of 13 who taught her how to predict the future and help those who were sick and weak. It was said that she travelled about the sea on a mattress made of reed to save the people who were being drowned. People therefore looked upon her as the goddess for safety on the sea.

Architectural Setting

 

Structurally, the temple has the shape of a typical Chinese temple. There is a main hall flanked by side halls . On the architectural side, the temple walls are built with granite, a construction material not commonly used in temples. The main door of the temple is decorated with a pair of remarkably fine bas-reliefs.

Other Deities

Apart from Tin Hau, the temple also houses Kwan Tai (God of War), Tai Sui (Sixty Gods of the Year), Kwun Yum (Goddess of Mercy), Choi San (God of Wealth), Lo Ban (Patron of Carpenters and Builders), Wah Kwong (God of Fire), Confucius (Patron of Philosophy) , Gum Fa Leung Leung (Patron of Pregnant Women) and Wai Chi King Tak (Gate God General).

Tin Hau Festival

Tin Hau Festival falls on the 23rd day of the third lunar month. During that period, the temple is flocked with worshippers and the waterways are crammed with decorated boats. Theatrical performances are also held during the Festival.

Renovations

The old temple had undergone renovations in 1891 and 1941 while major renovation was carried out to the present temple in 1998.

 

 

 

Addresss:

Cha Kwo Ling Road, Kowloon

Opening Hour:

8:00am to 5:00pm daily

Public Transport:

MTR-Lam Tin Station Exit D, take Green Minibus Route 23B (Lam Tin MTR Station to Laguna City) and get off at the temple

 

 

Back