skip to content
Chinese Temples Committee
 

Tin Hau Temple, Sham Shui Po

 
 

The temple was built in 1885 by Hakka(客家) people who earned their living as fishermen. They believed that Tin Hau was their goddess and patron of their livelihood.

Tin Hau

Tin Hau who is also called Matsu (Mother-Ancestor)(媽祖) was a native of Fujian Province(福建省). She met a Taoist priest at the age of 13 who taught her how to predict the future and help those who were sick and weak. It was said that she travelled about the sea on a mattress made of reed to save the people who were being drowned. People therefore looked upon her as the goddess for safety on the sea.

Architectural Setting

 

Architecturally, this temple mirrors that of the Kwan Tai Temple in Hai Tan Street, Sham Shui Po. One notable sight of the temple is the pair of wooden screens at its entrance which are patterned like Chinese embroidery. The building consists of a main hall at the rear with side halls at its sides. The scale of this temple is considered large in the urban area.

Historical & Cultural Relics

The Chinese character "Tin Hau Temple" and a couplet were engraved at the main entrance in 1913.

Other Deities

Apart from the main deity of Tin Hau, the temple also houses Tai Sui (the Sixty Gods of Time), Kwun Yum (Goddess of Mercy) and Pao Kung (God of Justice).

Tin Hau Festival

Tin Hau Festival falls on the 23rd day of the third lunar month.

Renovations

This temple has undergone major renovations in 1915 and 1990.

 

 

 

Addresss:

No.180-184, Yee Kuk Street, Sham Shui Po, Kowloon

Opening Hour:

8:30am to 5:30pm daily

Public Transport:

MTR - Sham Shui Po Station Exit A2, walk for 10 minutes

 

 

Back