The temple was built during the reign of Dao Guan (道光)(1821-1850) of Qing Dynasty (清朝). It was previously located near the coast of Kwun Tong. The old temple was renovated in 1891. Around 1911 and 1912, the temple was destroyed by a typhoon. The image of Tin Hau was then transferred to a shack nearby and remained there for thirty years. In 1941, a new temple was built on the old site with the funds raised by the local people. However, the temple was demolished in 1947. At the request of the local residents, a new temple was built at the present site.
Hung Shing - a God of the Sea (洪聖)
Hung Shing was originally a government official named Hung Hei in Tang Dynasty (唐朝). He promoted the study of astronomy and geography and established an observatory to observe the meteorological changes. His devotion to work made him die at a young age. After his death, the reigning emperor gave him the posthumous title of "Kwong Lee Hung Shing Tai Wong" (廣利洪聖大王). Legend has it that Hung Shing continued to guard the people against natural disasters on numerous occasions after his death. Many government officials later built temples to worship him as the God of Southern Sea.
Historical & Cultural Objects
Historical items in this temple include an altar, incense burner, altar table and other ritual items that date back to 1874.