skip to content
Chinese Temples Committee

Tin Hau Temple, Aberdeen

Tin Hau Temple, Aberdeen

This Tin Hau Temple was founded by some Aberdeen fishermen in 1851. Most Tin Hau temples are located on slopes along coastlines. The Aberdeen Tin Hau Temple is no exception. However, with reclamation which took place over the years, the temple is now away from the coast and surrounded by bustling streets.

Origin of the Temple

Tin Hau (Queen of Heaven) is a patron deity of seafaring folks in Guangdong and Fujian provinces. Since Aberdeen was originally a fishing centre, local fishermen built this temple to pray for protection from Tin Hau.

Tin Hau

Tin Hau (ѦZ) who is also called Matsu (Mother-Ancestor) was a native of Fujian Province. She met a Taoist priest at the age of 13 who taught her how to predict the future and help those who were sick and weak. It was said that she travelled about the sea on a mattress made of reed to save the people who were being drowned. People therefore looked upon her as the goddess for safety on the sea.

Architectural Setting

Architectural Setting

Apart from the main hall, there are side halls on both sides. One is the management office while the other is the bedroom of Tin Hau. The temple roof is supported by three pairs of golden pillars.

Historical & Cultural objects

The temple has preserved many historical relics of the Qing Dynasty. The most notable one is a copper bell cast in the 4th year of the Reign of Yong Zheng (1726). It was found by a fisherman in the sea and was later sent to this temple as a gift. This is also one of the two temples on Hong Kong Island where the roof of the temple is decorated with pottery figurines of females along its ridge.

Other Deities

Apart from the main deity of Tin Hau, the temple also houses Choi Pak Sing Kwan (a God of Wealth), Kwun Yam (Goddess of Mercy), Wong Tai Sin and Wah Tor (a God of Medicine).

Tin Hau Festival

Tin Hau Festival falls on the 23rd day of the third lunar month.

Major Renovations

The temple had undergone renovations in 1873 and 1898. In 1999, the Chinese Temples Committee rebuilt the temple, preserving the undamaged temple ridge and stone columns.

Major Renovations   Major Renovations




No. 182, Aberdeen Main Road, Hong Kong

Opening Hours :

8:00am to 5:00pm daily

Public TransportG

Walk for 5 minutes along Aberdeen Main Road from Aberdeen bus terminus




Level Double-A conformance, W3C WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0   Web Accessibility Recognition Scheme 2018-19   The Chinese Temples Committee has not authorized any third parties to conduct any commercial publicity, promotions or sales activities for its administered temples outside Hong Kong.