skip to content
Chinese Temples Committee

Shing Wong Temple, Shau Kei Wan


The temple was built in 1877 at the junction of Shau Kei Wan Main Street East and Kam Wa Street. It was formerly called the Fook Tak Chi(福德祠) ("Fook Tak" is not the name of a deity. It refers to a place where people pray for blessings and virtues.). After an expansion project by the Chinese Temples Committee in 1974, it was renamed as Shing Wong Temple.

Shing Wong(also named as Cheng Huang) - The City God(城隍)

Shing Wong is a god who protects a city. The work of Shing Wong is to manage the ghosts and spirits of the district under his charge and to maintain peace and order in both the nether and living worlds.

Architectural Setting


Other Deities

Apart from the main deity of Shing Wong, the temple also houses Ng Tung (the Gods of Five Lucks) and To Ti (Earth God).

Shing Wong & Related Festivals

Shing Wong Festival – the 11th day of the fifth lunar month and the 24th day of the seventh lunar month Ng Tung (The Gods of Five Lucks) Festival – the 5th day of the first lunar month and the 5th day of the fifth lunar month To Ti (Earth God) Festival – the 2nd day of the second lunar month


This temple has undergone renovations in 1876, 1902, 1920, 1948, 1974 and 2005.





Kam Wa Street, Shau Kei Wan, Hong Kong

Opening Hour:

8:00am to 5:00pm daily

Public Transport:

MTR-Shau Kei Wan Station Exit B1 - walk for 5 minutes along Shau Kei Wan Main Street East




Level Double-A conformance, W3C WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0   Web Accessibility Recognition Scheme 2015