Administered Temples

Tin Hau Temple, Shau Kei Wan

The temple was built in 1873 for commemorating Tin Hau (天后). Not long after its completion, Hong Kong was hit by a severe typhoon and the Temple was ruined by the typhoon but the damage to Shau Kei Wan was the least among various districts in Hong Kong. Locals believed that they were protected by the Tin Hau and decided to rebuild the temple.

Origin of the Temple

Since Shau Kei Wan was a fishing village in the old days, local fishermen built this temple to pray for protection from Tin Hau.

Tin Hau (Goddess of the Sea or Queen of Heaven)

Tin Hau, also named Mazu (媽祖), was a native of Fujian Province. She met a Taoist priest at the age of 13 who taught her how to predict the future, weather and help those who were sick and weak. It was said that she travelled above the sea to save people who were being drowned. People therefore look upon her as the goddess for safety on the sea.

Architectural Setting

The temple was originally situated on a slope facing the sea with good “Fung Shui” orientation. The temple has a very typical layout with the main hall located at the back flanked by side halls.

Historical & Cultural Relics

A stone tablet with inscriptions about the reconstruction of the temple in 1874 is still kept in the temple. The temple houses murals, woodcarvings, wall paintings and Shi Wan Ceramics that were made over a hundred years ago. In front of the statue of Tin Hau, there are two exquisitely made figurines which, according to folk tales, have supernatural power on eyesight and hearing respectively.

Other Deities

Apart from the main deity of Tin Hau, the temple also houses Kwan Tai (God of War), Kwun Yum (Goddess of Mercy), Lui Dung Bun (Lui Jo, One of the Eight Immortals) and Master Wong Tai Sin.

Tin Hau Festival

Tin Hau Festival falls on the 23rd of the Third Lunar Month. On that day, worshippers bring along sumptuous offerings to the temple, hoping that Tin Hau can bring them good weather and harvests, health and prosperous life.

Major Renovations

The temple underwent renovations in 1876, 1902, 1920, 1948, 1991 and 2005 respectively.

53 Shau Kei Wan Main Street East, Shau Kei Wan, Hong Kong
Public Transport

Shau Kei Wan Station Exit B2 → walk along Shau Kei Wan Main Street East (2 mins.)

Opening Hours
8:00am to 5:00pm daily
2569 1264
1. Octopus

Please use your mobile to scan this QR code to make donation via Octopus:

2. AlipayHK

Please use your mobile to scan this QR code to make donation via AlipayHK: