Kwun Yum Temple, Hung Hom
During the second World War, it was said that Hung Hom district was under two rounds of heavy bombardments by the Japanese, aiming at destroying the Whampoa Dock. There were heavy casualties in the adjacent school but those people taking shelter in the temple were unharmed. The residents in the area believed that it was a miracle of Kwun Yum.
Kwun Yum (also named as Guan Yin) - Goddess of Mercy (觀音)
Kwun Yum or Kwun Sai Yum (觀世音) is known for centuries as a deity of sympathy, compassion and mercy, hearing the pleas of those who are suffering. She is worshipped by people of both the Taoist and Buddhist religions. Kwun Yum in the earlier times was a male divinity, but evolved to be a female deity in Tang Dynasty (唐朝). Arising from a saying that Kwun Yum studied Taoist teachings on lotus blossoms, some Kwun Yum Temples are also called Lin Fa Kung or Palace of Lotus Flower (蓮花宮). Temples dedicated to Kwun Yum are often alternatively known as Shui Yuet Kung or Palace of Water and Moon (水月宮), which stands for all that is quiet and peaceful and detached from the material world.
Architecturally, the temple is a traditional Chinese temple. The front hall is shaped like a Chinese pavilion. The middle hall looks like a covered-year and the rear part is the main hall where the images of the deities are placed.
Historical & Cultural Relics
The Chinese words "Kwun Yum Temple" and the couplet at the entrance are carved in 1889.
Apart from Kwun Yum, the temple also houses Tai Sui (Sixty Gods of Time) and All Saints.
Kwun Yum Festival
There are four festivals in the lunar year in honour of Kwun Yum. They fall on the 19th day of the second, sixth, ninth and eleventh lunar months and these days correspond respectively to her birth, ordination, deification and assumption as a sea-goddess. Apart from these festive days, the temple is particularly busy during the Kwun Yum Open Treasury on the 26th day of the first lunar month where tens of thousands of worshippers go to the temple to "borrow money" from the Goddess.
This temple had undergone major renovations in 1889 and 1901.