Hau Wong Temple, Junction Road
Hau Wong (Marquis Prince)
While there is no conclusive proof about the origin of Hau Wong, most people subscribe to the saying that the temple was built in memory of Hau Wong Yeung Leung-jit, the loyal general who protected the last emperor of Southern Song Dynasty to take refuge southwards in Kowloon.
The temple consists of three buildings. Facing the entrance of the temple is the main hall which houses the image of Hau Wong. There are three chambers to the left of the main hall. In front of these chambers, there is a small garden where the walls are decorated with brightly-coloured figurines made of Shek Wan pottery. The garden is linked to the pavilion built in an ancient style in front of the main hall. Worshippers have to pass through the pavilion to get to the temple when they come in from the main entrance. On the right hand side of the temple, there is an oriental garden built with a square pavilion. A replica of the stone inscription of the Chinese word "goose" written in one brush stroke is placed inside the pavilion. Another stone inscription of the Chinese word "crane", also written in one brush stroke, is placed at the back of the temple.
Historical & Cultural Relics
The temple is home to a wealth of cultural artifacts, including groups of reliefs on the walls, an iron incense burner dedicated to Hau Wong, stone inscriptions of "goose" and "crane" in Chinese written in one brush stroke and a number of plaques. The stone tablet detailing the renovation of the Yeung Marquis Royal Palace, carved in 1822, is the oldest stone inscription preserved in the Wong Tai Sin district.
Apart from the main deity of Hau Wong, the temple also houses Kwun Yum(Goddess of Mercy), Tai Sui (The Sixty Gods of Time), All Saints and Buddhas, Eighteen Buddha Guardians (Lohan) and Three Precious Buddhas.
Hau Wong Festival
Hau Wong Festival of this temple is held on the sixteenth day of the sixth lunar month. It was a major event before World War II.
The Temple had undergone several renovations in 1759, 1822, 1859, 1879, 1917 and 1988. The fact that funds could be raised to renovate the temple several times during Qing Dynasty shows that there were considerable economic activities in the Kowloon City district in the 19th century. A $4 million project was carried out by the Chinese Temples Committee in 2005 to renovate the temple and preserve its outlook.