skip to content
Chinese Temples Committee

Hau Wong Temple, Tai O


This temple was built in 1699, 31 years before the one at Junction Road in Kowloon came into existence.

Hau Wong - Marquis Prince (侯王)

Hau Wong refers to Yeung Leung-jit(楊亮節), a loyal follower and a marquis of the last Emperor of the Southern Song Dynasty who fled with the royal family to Kowloon driven by the Mongols. Others believe that the temple was built in memory of a villager surnamed Yeung who had cured the Emperor of the Southern Song of an illness when the emperor family fled to Kowloon City.

Architectural Setting


Historical & Cultural Relics

The temple houses a wealth of historical items including a bell cast in 1699, an altar table made of tin in 1860 and inscriptions on a stone tablet dated 1877.

Other Deities

Apart from the main deity of Hau Wong, the temple also houses Pak Tai (Supreme Emperor of the North), Kwan Tai (God of War) and Hung Shing (a God of the Sea).

Hau Wong Festival

Hau Wong Festival of this temple is held on the 6th day of the sixth lunar month. It was a major event before World War II.


This temple had undergone major renovation in 1827, 1877 and 1988.





Po Chu Tam, Tai O, Lantau Island

Opening Hour:

7:00am to 5:00pm daily

Public Transport:

  • Take the ferry to Mui Wo at the Central Outlying Islands Pier (Please refer to ferry service timetable), change to bus route no. 1 to Tai O Bus Terminus and walk for approximately 10 minutes
  • Take bus route no. 11 at Tung Chung to Tai O Bus Terminus, walk for approximately 10 minutes



Level Double-A conformance, W3C WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0   Web Accessibility Recognition Scheme 2015