skip to content
Chinese Temples Committee
 

Tin Hau Temple, Shau Kei Wan

 
 

This temple was built by local fishermen and businessmen in 1873 for commemorating Tin Hau. Not long after its construction, Hong Kong was hit by a severe typhoon. While the Tin Hau Temple was ruined by the typhoon, Shau Kei Wan was the least affected area among Hong Kong. People believed that Tin Hau had sacrificed herself to protect the residents and decided to rebuild the temple.

Origin of the Temple

Tin Hau (Queen of Heaven) is a patron deity of seafaring folks in Guangdong(廣東) and Fujian(福建) provinces. Since Shau Kei Wan was a fishing village in the old days, local fishermen built this temple to pray for protection from Tin Hau.

Tin Hau

Tin Hau (天后) who is also called Matsu (Mother-Ancestor)(媽祖) was a native of Fujian Province. She met a Taoist priest at the age of 13 who taught her how to predict the future and help those who were sick and weak. It was said that she travelled about the sea on a mattress made of reed to save the people who were being drowned. People therefore looked upon her as the goddess for safety on the sea.

Architectural Setting

 

The temple was originally situated on a slope with its front part facing the sea. This sort of "Fung Shui" orientation is common among all Tin Hau temples in Hong Kong. The main hall is at the back of the main building which are flanked by side halls.

Historical & Cultural Relics

A stone tablet with inscriptions about the reconstruction of the temple is still kept in the temple. The temple houses murals, woodcarvings, wall paintings and Shek Wan pottery that were made over a hundred years ago. In front of the image of Tin Hau, there are two exquisitely made figurines which, according to folk tales, have supernatural eyesight and hearing respectively.

Other Deities

Apart from the main deity of Tin Hau, the temple also houses Kwan Tai (God of War), Kwun Yum (Goddess of Mercy), Lui Cho (One of the Eight Immortals) and Wong Tai Sin (A God of Medicine).

Tin Hau Festival

Tin Hau Festival falls on the 23rd day of the third lunar month. On that day, worshippers prepare sumptuous offerings at the temple, hoping that Tin Hau can bring them good weather and harvests, health and prosperous life.

Renovations

This temple has undergone renovations in 1876, 1902, 1920, 1948 and 2005 respectively.

 

 

 

Addresss:

Shau Kei Wan Main Street East, Shau Kei Wan, Hong Kong.

Opening Hour:

8:00am to 5:00pm daily

Public Transport:

MTR -Shau Kei Wan Station Exit B1, walk for about 5 minutes along Shau Kei Wan Main Street East

 

 

Back